25 March 2011

Dive Dive Dive Magazine

Dive Dive Dive Magazine is Estonia based and affiliated with B.EAST Magazine, which I discovered this week.  The affiliation says everything because I already wish I was cool enough (and Estonian enough) to be a part of this magazine.  Dive Dive Dive is a subculture magazine not quite like B.EAST.  Dive Dive Dive feels like a less sexy version and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.  B.EAST is like sex and fashion with its sleek and polished look, but Dive is like the DIY movement that carries subculture.  The design of the website feels like a hip scrapbook and the icons remind me of images from Lanica's animation (featured on the B.EAST post), so I get why there is a connection. 

Dive has a manifesto that is very telling and dictates their style.  I love the manifesto because it is driven by the desire to create as a tribute to beauty and sensitivity.  Sounds pretty Bohemian, I know, but isn't it nice that someone isn't out there just to grab your cash?  And that creativity is a valid act of contribution?  But I'm waxing poetic.

I browsed a number of the fourteen sections marked by icons.  I liked the travel section and would like the film and art sections more if I was actually living in Europe, though the reviews are giving me a phenomenal list of movies to reference should I get Netflix.  That said, I enjoyed the perspective of the articles; the written English was a bit halted and I could tell that it did not come from a native speaker.  The writing was a lacking some polish in certain articles, but nothing fatal.   The S.N.A.F.U. section was surprising because I wasn't fully anticipating a section entirely devoted to articles on F.U. situations.  I do wish the articles were a little more in depth and journalistic or at least more like a story, but perhaps I'm getting the short end of the stick online.  It's hard to tell where the print magazine and online version overlap and where they don't.  At the very least, the website has given me enough reason to want a subscription and not just because it's primarily run by Estonians.  I'm signing up for a subscription, which is FREE (perfect for an underemployed person like me), so I will give a more in depth review when I've had more chances to view the work of Dive Dive Dive.

I suggest you take a look and browse their many sections.  The Travel and Film sections are my favorites, but this magazine has a great perspective to add for those looking for more creativity.